Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Factions & Reputation
Hello,

in this post I want to give some ideas about the factions and a reputation system.
I guess there will be only Trikru and Skaikru at the beginning. So i will mainly focus on them.
[Image: FactionSelection.jpg](My Idea of a basic faction selection screen)
As you can see each faction gives you different skill bonuses and also different reputations to other factions. A reputation with a faction can go from -100 (enemys) over 0 (neutral) to +100 (friendly). With certain actions you can get and lose reputation. For example if you help the Skaikru as a Trikru member (like Lincoln did) you will lose reputation to Trikru but gain some to Skaikru. Also, if your reputation to your faction is too low you will be kicked out.
- Boy132
(most of the icons I use are from game-icons.net)
I'm totally blown away by the the looks of that image! It looks great.

I definitely think that giving different factions boosts in different skills is a most.
I do however see one problem in the reputation system that you are proposing. When we have more clans, players could form alliances between 2 clans. Starting out with a low rep towards a clan you are supposedly in an alliance with, could give some problems. Maybe if we make the reputation system dynamic, so that the reputation you start with, is your clans/factions average towards the other clans?
Nice initiative and good job, looks great!
(01-14-2018, 10:32 AM)Stephano Wrote: I'm totally blown away by the the looks of that image! It looks great.
[...]
(01-14-2018, 12:00 PM)Darwin Wrote: Nice initiative and good job, look great!
Thank you, Stephano and Darwin. Smile

(01-14-2018, 10:32 AM)Stephano Wrote: [...] I do however see one problem in the reputation system that you are proposing. When we have more clans, players could form alliances between 2 clans. Starting out with a low rep towards a clan you are supposedly in an alliance with, could give some problems. Maybe if we make the reputation system dynamic, so that the reputation you start with, is your clans/factions average towards the other clans?
The reputation system is only for the relationship between the player (not his faction) and the other factions. The system is meant to be dynamic, you start with the general reputations of your faction. So for example everyone hates the Mountain men (-100). If you start as a Trikru member you probably like your faction more than a Skaikru would like his factions because you have a greater sense of honor. Also this reputation system is not necessarily about alliances or something but about do this faction likes me or not, would they attack me or not.
- Boy132
Great Idea! What would happen if a faction (Like the mountain men) get wiped out? Would you erase the data from that faction?
I don't think that you can wipe out a whole faction? Even if there are no players in a faction the faction itself would still exist.
- Boy132
Wiping a faction was always intended to be possible, especially when you consider Mt. Weather if the players decide to take the route the show took.

If a faction was considered "wiped", we'd just disable the ability to create characters for them normally.

However, with that said, there are still plenty of things we can do with a faction after it's been "wiped". For example, from a Discord conversation we had some time ago, if a bunch of players banded together and decided "hey, we want to play Azgeda even though they all died", we could agree to allow a group of players to create Azgeda characters and spawn them in on the edge of the map, as if they were a group returning from a long journey to find all their clan members dead.

Stories like that could open up some very interesting RP drama/politics. Of course this is just one example, and all this depends on how the players decide to play things out.
Wiping out a whole faction will be no easy task. You would literally have to kill every single member of the faction, before players would be able to create new characters. There will be large wars that may lead to quite a big loss of life. But you would most likely never find yourself in a situation where we programmed in a button than would literately kill every single member of a clan/faction.

I'm not saying its impossible, and the Mountain Men has an actual risk of being wiped out if the other clans kill all immune players and hold the mountain for long enough that there is no way that non immune players (like new characters) wouldn't be killed by radiation. But that would require some serious planning and mass player coordination, so much that we would most likely know about it in good time and be able to handle the mass extinction event accordingly.

Grounder clans can in theory not be wiped out, as explained by SkyKiwi.