Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crafting
Hey everyone.

As we are making a survival game, crafting will be a big part of the game. Unlike traditional MMO's there is no big shops, blacksmiths or tailors. We might have small grounders markets and trader posts, but that is not what we are going to discuss here!

To start working on actual implementing crafting in-game, we need to have an idea of what players should be able to craft, and how crafting should work. Should some crafting require special tools? Does the player need to be at a workbench? What about skills? Can everyone craft a radio or just players who have some kind of tech skill?

A list of items that could be craft-able (If you think i missed something let me know)
- Bandages
- Splints (for broken legs)
- Clothes
- Armor
- Ammunition (bullets and arrows)
- Improvised tools (scrapmetal knife, axe from wood and stone and so on)
- Improvised weapons (scrapmetal knife, bow and so on)
- Radio's
- Low impact grenades (like the ones used in last episode of S1)
- Horse saddle(and other accessories)
- Improvised tent (for acid rain and acid fog)
- Poison
- Different food items
- Torch

There is probably way more.

//Stephano
I think there should definitely be a tech skill or something to seperate grounder tech and skaikru/ mountain men tech. Low tech (like bows, primitive and improvised thinks, grounder stuff) shouldn't require a workbench but special tools (like a knife, a hammer). However high tech (radios, grenades, guns) should require some kind of skill, a workbench (like a engineer workbench for a radio, a weapons workbench for guns) and special tools (like soldering equipment or a screwdriver).

Other craft-ables (just some brainstorm Tongue):
- ropes (for climbing?)
- something like scrap from wrecks, also electronic parts
- traps (for small animals and maybe players?)
- medicine (herbal and "high tech")
- improvised bombs (like Raven's hydrazine bomb)
- weapon attachments; like lasers, sights, suppressors? (I don't know if you want to make a attachment system but it would be cool tho)
- canister (for fuel, water, other fluids or gases)
- maybe also ALIE's chip ? (and a chipmaker?)
- maps (hand drawn and 'normal' maps)
- survival gear, like a compass, lighter
- Reaper drug (make your own reapers Big Grin)
- writeable books (for players who want to make some kind of diary like Lincoln did)
- Boy132
(most of the icons I use are from game-icons.net)
All great ideas! (Maybe with Alie's chip being the only exception Smile , just thinking about how to implement that hurts my brain). 
Everything else on your list should be doable. Maps and notes will properly take some time to get working, but its definitely something I want in game.
(01-14-2018, 10:42 AM)Stephano Wrote: All great ideas! (Maybe with Alie's chip being the only exception Smile , just thinking about how to implement that hurts my brain).

Thanks. Big Grin Maybe you could add ALIE's chip as an easteregg or something?
- Boy132
(most of the icons I use are from game-icons.net)
(01-14-2018, 01:20 PM)Boy132 Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 10:42 AM)Stephano Wrote: All great ideas! (Maybe with Alie's chip being the only exception Smile , just thinking about how to implement that hurts my brain).

Thanks. Big Grin Maybe you could add ALIE's chip as an easteregg or something?

We can maybe have it as an special event at some point way down the road, but it would require a lot of planning and coordination.
Ideas for some herbal crafting:

The 100 potions:

Lamprey teeth + green seaweed = potion of sleeping

Red seaweed = cure disease + some health

Crushed river beetle + white flower = cure poison

Poison sumac flower + butterfly wing = potion of health

Poison sumac roots + glowing mushroom = poison

Powdered cockroach + ivy = potion of give disease

Deer antlers + bone meal = potion of stamina

Boar tusk + panther eye = potion of strength
Hi I just found out about this project on reddit and want to help out. Are there any plans for some sort of base building?
I was thinking players could recruit friends into their very own tribe or maybe join an existing one. Tribes could work together on a settlement and build a base. I am thinking something similar to Ark: survival evolved. I could brainstorm how all of this would work of it is something that could belong into the game and if it hasnt been done already.
I want to contibute to game design.