Project Arkadia Forum
Map Layout - Printable Version

+- Project Arkadia Forum (https://projectarkadia.com)
+-- Forum: Development (https://projectarkadia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: World (https://projectarkadia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Map Layout (/showthread.php?tid=5)

Pages: 1 2 3

Map Layout - Stephano - 12-25-2017

The problem with the world of the show is that it sways a lot from reality. When building it we basicly have to choose between 3 options.

1. Build it how it's described in the show (ex. the few maps we get to see, and the explanations of distance between places)
2. Build it after the area it's supposed to take place, this will put us in the right part of the US, but it won't really look like the show at all.
3. Build it from knowledge about filming locations and scenery in the show, this will make it look like the show the most, but known information about the placement of different places might be off.

This is a very small terrain build from option 3:
[Image: Map_WIP.png]

Post your opinion below!

- Stephano

RE: Map Layout - Stephano - 12-26-2017

Option 3, also gives us the ability to use real world terrain data as a canvas to build upon. Rather than start from a flat plane.

Very quick example I made:
[Image: unknown.png][Image: latest.png]

RE: Map Layout - ThatRumme - 12-26-2017

I'm voting for number 3, since it gives us a fast and easy map layout. Plus we can still change things we don't like, to make the map perfect.

RE: Map Layout - Boy132 - 12-26-2017

I would use number 3 as the base terrain and later use the places like they're described in the show. (number 1) This may require some reworks but i think this will look the most like the show.
After some research i would tend to number 1 because there are some really good maps and surprisingly many information sources. However i still think that taking the filming locations as a base and edit them is easier than making the whole map by hand.

RE: Map Layout - Jordonius - 01-16-2018

Just a basic full map of the world of The 100, with what I believe to be quite accurate placements and distances between locations. More detailed maps to come including more locations around the dropship for example, let me know what you think!

Cheers, 
Jordonius

RE: Map Layout - Boy132 - 01-16-2018

(01-16-2018, 02:41 PM)Jordonius Wrote: Just a basic full map of the world of The 100, with what I believe to be quite accurate placements and distances between locations. More detailed maps to come including more locations around the dropship for example, let me know what you think!

Cheers, 
Jordonius

The position of Arkadia and the dropship are wrong. Mount weather is also on the wrong side of the river. What sources did you use?
One big problem of recreating the map from the show is that you can't really use modern maps of the east coast of the usa. After ~100 years and a nuclear war the terrain changed a lot.

RE: Map Layout - Jordonius - 01-16-2018

another problem is that many fan made maps use current modern maps and are hence wrong (why I agree with you there), and many maps shown in the show are very vague/don't show much area. The main map I used was a map in the show which raven looks at during season 4, and also used the map in the 1st episode to figure out the dropships location relative to mount weather.ravens map also the river locations around mount weather are due to the fact that they have to cross 2 rivers to reach mount weather in the 1st episode, indicating there are 2 between mt.weather and the dropship.

Could you also post any sources that made you think my placements were wrong? I can take a look and make any adjustments if necessary, thanks Smile

RE: Map Layout - Boy132 - 01-16-2018

(01-16-2018, 04:52 PM)Jordonius Wrote: Could you also post any sources that made you think my placements were wrong? I can take a look and make any adjustments if necessary, thanks Smile

Yeah sure. I mainly use 3 sources: Here is also a overview I made. It contains all main locations (with all the above map locations).

RE: Map Layout - Jordonius - 01-17-2018

(01-16-2018, 06:11 PM)Boy132 Wrote:
(01-16-2018, 04:52 PM)Jordonius Wrote: Could you also post any sources that made you think my placements were wrong? I can take a look and make any adjustments if necessary, thanks Smile

Yeah sure. I mainly use 3 sources: Here is also a overview I made. It contains all main locations (with all the above map locations).
To me it looks like we have the same placements as each other? Other than the fact I might move arkadia a little closer to mount weather, and that the main river seems to be on the other side of mount weather. The acid fog map and ravens map show similar positioning (despite the 2points above) And the other source seems pretty unreliable with so many mistakes personally. My reasonings for the river placements was from the fact that they need to cross 2 rivers to get to get to mount weather from the dropship.

RE: Map Layout - Boy132 - 01-17-2018

(01-17-2018, 12:01 AM)Jordonius Wrote: To me it looks like we have the same placements as each other? Other than the fact I might move arkadia a little closer to mount weather, and that the main river seems to be on the other side of mount weather. The acid fog map and ravens map show similar positioning (despite the 2points above) [...]
Each of your positions are a bit wrong. Tongue

(01-17-2018, 12:01 AM)Jordonius Wrote: [...] And the other source seems pretty unreliable with so many mistakes personally. [...]
Which source do you mean? My 3 main sources are all reliable. And from them I created the map.

(01-17-2018, 12:01 AM)Jordonius Wrote: [...] My reasonings for the river placements was from the fact that they need to cross 2 rivers to get to mount weather from the dropship.

Really? I didn't know that. Big Grin That second river is maybe a newly formed river?